Friday, April 2, 2010

Visiting my mom in US of A

Today is April 1st; Good Friday. If you're a christian, that's a day of fasting cept for fish at dinner, and probably some kind of other rituals I'm not familiar with. For me, it's a paid day off work, and an opportunity to head down to the states and visit my mother.

I'm still on Study session 11, and according to the Stalla callendar, I should be on study session 14, so technically, I am 2-3 weeks behind (13 is a tiny study session). I don't feel that far behind because I was pretty thorough on my first run through, without exception. I'll explain a little further about why I'm comfortable (though not exstatic) about the progress I've made so far:

I mentioned that I'm doing word documents for every Stalla reading, and that those tended to be between 2500 and 3500 words or something like that. I've had a couple come in at just over 5000 and even 5500 words now. As I've been reading, I wouldn't move forward until I was sure I understood what I just read. I don't necessarily remember the stuff 3 weeks later, but having already learned it, all I need is a little bit of time with the material and some questions, and I'll be back up to speed really quickly.

On my flight to Cincinnati (from Toronto, that's where I live), I thought I would try some review; I opted to go with quantitative methods, since it's been a pretty long time since I looked at that one. Reading 11 is the core for Quant in level 2; you won't understand squat in the 12th and 13th readings if the 11th one doesn't make sense to you (I emphasize that I'm talking about individual readings now, not study sessions). In my notes for 12 and 13, I noticed I was referring back to the 11th study session a lot, and being the careless twat that I am, I forgot to print my study session 11 notes. Oops. I was pretty tired on that flight, and ended up just sleeping after skimming through both 12 and 13. I think next weekend I'll have a big review session of as much of what I've learned to date as possible. The goal for this weekend is to finish study session 11 off, and get started on the 12th. By next weekend I hope to be done the 12th, and starting up on that review session.

FYI, to anyone reading this, don't go to Cincinnati, it sucks, it's boring, and it's super old-school christian. I don't care for religion much and I tend to have very liberal social views, so for me especially it's not my kind of place. I do like reminding people that Obama is president though, that puts a smile on my face because a lot of them are very republican and still living in denial about that. It's just about 4 pm now, and I'm going out for dinner/drinks with a local buddy of mine at 9 or so. I'm going to rub Obama's presidency in his face a lot, I expect it to bother him a lot. I hope to get in an actual western style fist fight with him by the end of the night. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment